Presented by the
Ornithological Council

Member organizations of the Ornithological Council

American Ornithologists' Union

Association of Field Ornithologists


Cooper Ornithological Society

Neotropical Ornithological Society

Pacific Seabird Group

Raptor Research Foundation

Society of Canadian Ornithologists ~ Société des Ornithologistes du Canada

Society for the Conservation and Study of Caribbean Birds

The Waterbird Society

Wilson Ornithological Society
Page Last Updated
Sun, Jan 25, 2009

Contact Webmaster:
Robert.Curry @

© 1997-2009, The Ornithological Council, All Rights Reserved

DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript

State permit policies & procedures

Back to US State index



    Vermont Dept. of Fish and Wildlife  


Jon Kart
Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department
phone 802-654-8985
fax 802-338-4895
Mail address: VSAC 103 South Main St., 10 So., Waterbury VT 05671
Office address: VSAC 2nd floor, 10 East Allen St., Winooski, VT 05404

Permit needed for banding: Yes. Per M. Ferguson, pers. comm. to E. Paul 13 July 2009; it is required under the regulations.

Permit application forms 

The latest/most up-to-date application forms for Scientific Collection permits (non-listed species) and for Threatened & Endangered Species Takings permits (for listed species) can both be found at

State lands

Landowner permission is required prior to commencement of collecting activities; this includes state lands. A special use permit is required for any collection activity on lands owned by the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department, Forests Parks & Recreation Department, and Department of Environmental Conservation.

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.

Statutes and Regulations

Vermont Statutes Annotated

Title 10: Conservation and Development

Chapter 103: Fish and Wildlife Department

4152. Permits for scientific and educational collections

The commissioner may issue permits to a properly accredited person or educational institution permitting the holder thereof to collect birds, their nests and eggs, and fish and wild animals or parts thereof, for public scientific research or educational purposes of the institution. In addition, the commissioner may issue a permit to an individual which allows the holder to collect fish and wild animals for the purpose of using them as subjects of art or photography. (Added 1961, No. 11 § 1, eff. May 9, 1961; amended 1987, No. 171 (Adj. Sess.); 1991, No. 230 (Adj. Sess.), § 30.)

Vermont Endangered and Threatened Species


Spruce Grouse (Falcipennis canadensis) E
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) E
Upland Sandpiper (Bartramia longicauda) E
Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) E
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) E
Migrant Loggerhead Shrike (Lanius ludovicianus migrans) E
Sedge Wren (Cistothorus platensis) E
Henslow's Sparrow (Ammodramus henslowii) E
Grasshopper Sparrow (Ammodramus savannarum) T