Presented by the
Ornithological Council

Member organizations of the Ornithological Council

American Ornithologists' Union

Association of Field Ornithologists


Cooper Ornithological Society

Neotropical Ornithological Society

Pacific Seabird Group

Raptor Research Foundation

Society of Canadian Ornithologists ~ Société des Ornithologistes du Canada

Society for the Conservation and Study of Caribbean Birds

The Waterbird Society

Wilson Ornithological Society
Page Last Updated
Sun, Jan 25, 2009

Contact Webmaster:
Robert.Curry @

© 1997-2009, The Ornithological Council, All Rights Reserved

DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript

State permit policies & procedures

Back to US State index

Rhode Island


    Rhode Island Division of Wildlife


    Phone: (401)789-3094 (no specific person; just say that you are calling to request a  
    Scientific Collecting permit application)

Is a permit needed for banding?

    Yes (pers.comm. J. Fandetti to E. Paul, 30 July 2009). The statute expressly includes

Permit application forms

  • Application Form - forms are not available online. Call number above.
  • Renewal - forms are not available online. Call number above.

  • Threatened and Endangered - forms are not available online. Call number above.

  • Salvage - forms are not available online. Call number above.

State lands

Apparently not. Section 4Park and Management Area Rules and Regulations requires permission to take specimens in the context of archeological research, but there is no analagous requirement for biological specimens or other forms of biological research. Nonetheless, it is always a good idea to contact the park, forest, or management area staff prior to undertaking research, just to be sure that your activities will not interfere with their management activities or with public use and to be aware of the hunting seasons or other hazardous conditions.

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.



Fish and Wildlife
General Provisions
SECTION 20-1-18

   ß 20-1-18  Collector's permits. – Notwithstanding any other restriction or prohibition set forth in this title, the director is authorized to issue special permits for the taking, handling, and/or possession of any species of wild animal, of any size, age, and numbers as may be appropriate to persons for the purpose of carrying out scientific experiments and cultivation projects for which the director has responsibility. The director may require an applicant to provide any information that the director deems necessary to ascertain that the person is involved in a bona fide experiment or project. Failure to abide by the provisions of any permit or failure to report any information required by the director shall be cause for suspension or revocation of the permit.