Presented by the
Ornithological Council

Member organizations of the Ornithological Council

American Ornithologists' Union

Association of Field Ornithologists


Cooper Ornithological Society

Neotropical Ornithological Society

Pacific Seabird Group

Raptor Research Foundation

Society of Canadian Ornithologists ~ Société des Ornithologistes du Canada

Society for the Conservation and Study of Caribbean Birds

The Waterbird Society

Wilson Ornithological Society
Page Last Updated
Sun, Jan 25, 2009

Contact Webmaster:
Robert.Curry @

© 1997-2009, The Ornithological Council, All Rights Reserved

DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript

State permit policies & procedures

Back to US State index

New Hampshire  


New Hampshire Fish and Game Department


    Brendan J. Clifford
    Biological Technician for the Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Program
    New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
    11 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301
    Phone: (603) 271-0463

Is a permit needed for banding?

Yes. (pers.comm. 30 June 2009, B. Clifford to E. Paul: “A state permit is required for any capture or handling.”)

Permit application forms

  • Application Form - Available here
  • Renewal - same form

  • Threatened and Endangered - same form, see restrictions

  • Salvage - same application form

State lands

To be determined

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.



 Fis 1106.01  Scientific Licenses.
(a)  Each applicant for a scientific license under RSA 214:29 shall include:
(1)  The applicant’s:
a.  Name;
b.  Address; and
c.  Telephone number;
(2)  Name and address of educational institution, business, or
governmental agency, if applicable;
(3)  Purpose and objective of the study;
(4)  Methodology for collection or research;
(5)  Inclusive dates of study and collection;
(6)  Waterbody or specific location(s) of the study;
(7)   Specific target species of wildlife to be taken and/or possessed;
     (8)  The number of each target species to be collected or possessed;
         (9)  Disposition of wildlife captured; and
         (10)  Name(s) of  person(s) assisting to be listed as subpermittee(s);

(b)  The licensee shall submit a report of study results by January 31 for period covered by the scientific permit to include the following information:
         (1)  The name and address to which the scientific permit was issued;
         (2)  The purpose and objective of the study;
         (3)  Species and number wildlife taken;
         (4)  Age and sex, if known, of wildlife taken;
(5)  Location(s) where species were taken or collected, including a map for those wildlife species tracked under this license;
         (6)  Date received or collected;
         (7)  Disposition of the wildlife; and
         (8)  Location where specimens are held, if applicable.
(c)  Copies of the permit shall be carried by permittee or subpermittees while engaged in the activities permitted under the scientific license.
(d)  Complete reports for previous scientific licenses shall be received before subsequent or renewal applications will be considered.
(e)  Waivers of the fee specified in RSA 214:29 shall only be granted to educational and nonprofit institutions and governmental agencies.