Presented by the
Ornithological Council

Member organizations of the Ornithological Council

American Ornithologists' Union

Association of Field Ornithologists


Cooper Ornithological Society

Neotropical Ornithological Society

Pacific Seabird Group

Raptor Research Foundation

Society of Canadian Ornithologists ~ Société des Ornithologistes du Canada

Society for the Conservation and Study of Caribbean Birds

The Waterbird Society

Wilson Ornithological Society
Page Last Updated
Sun, Jan 25, 2009

Contact Webmaster:
Robert.Curry @

© 1997-2009, The Ornithological Council, All Rights Reserved

DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript

State permit policies & procedures

Back to US State index



Maryland Department of Natural Resources


Mary Goldie
Permits Coordinator
MD DNR - Wildlife and Heritage Service
Tawes State Office Building, E-1
580 Taylor Ave.
Annapolis, MD 21401
Phone (410) 260-8546

Is a permit required for banding?

In most cases, no.

The Ornithological Council has confirmed with Maryland DNR that: The only permit required to band migratory birds in Maryland is the federal bird banding permit. No additional state permit is required. By state regulation, any person holding a valid federal bird banding permit may also salvage birds killed or found dead as a result of their normal banding operations, and casualties from other causes, without a state permit provided those dead birds are donated to a public scientific or educational institution.

Any other form of marking (such as collars, patagial tags, transmitters, or nasal discs) would require a scientific collecting permit.

Of course, you should be sure your federal banding permit includes authority to salvage.

If your research activity does not involve scientific collecting, simply attach a project proposal and write "not applicable" with regard to all questions pertaining to scientific collecting. It is usually best to write a short, clear description of your project rather than attaching the long, detailed project proposal that you might have prepared as a grant application. State clearly what kinds of activities you will undertake, which species you intend to study, and the purpose for your study.

Permit application forms

  • Application Form - Available here
    or from website

  • Renewal - same form

  • Threatened and Endangered - Available here
    or from website

  • Salvage - As above. If you have a valid federal banding permit (that includes authority to salvage) you do not need a separate permit to salvage birds, provided that the birds are donated to a public scientific or educational insititution. However, if you are doing any other kind of research i.e., not banding birds then you would need a state permit to salvage. Use the scientific collecting permit.

State lands

To be determined.

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.


Code of Maryland Regulations, Title 8 (Department of Natural Resources), Subtitle 3 (Wildlife), Section 09 (Wildlife Possesion), Subsection .06 Permit to Possess Protected Species of Wildlife Birds.

A. Exceptions. This regulation does not apply to a bird on the threatened or endangered species lists. Further, any person who holds a valid federal bird banding or marking permit with authority to band or mark birds in Maryland, may salvage, for the purpose of donating to a public scientific or educational institution, birds killed or found dead as a result of the permittee's normal banding operations, and casualties from other causes, without holding additional State permits for salvage.

B. Permit. Any properly accredited person wishing to possess a protected bird or parts of a protected bird for educational or scientific purposes, or for the purpose of propagation, may apply to the Department for a permit.

C. Application. Application for a permit shall be made on the form the Department prescribes and shall demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Department the reasons for which the applicant wishes to possess the bird.

D. Non-transferability. The permit is non-transferable and expires December 31 of each year.

E. Annual Report. By December 31 of each year, every permittee shall make an annual report on forms the Department prescribes. The report shall include the disposition by species, the number, the age, the sex, the sources of any protected birds, as well as any other information the Department may require.

F. Revocation and Suspension. The Department may suspend or revoke a permit if the permittee fails to comply with the terms of the permit or submit the annual report.