Presented by the
Ornithological Council

Member organizations of the Ornithological Council

American Ornithologists' Union

Association of Field Ornithologists


Cooper Ornithological Society

Neotropical Ornithological Society

Pacific Seabird Group

Raptor Research Foundation

Society of Canadian Ornithologists ~ Société des Ornithologistes du Canada

Society for the Conservation and Study of Caribbean Birds

The Waterbird Society

Wilson Ornithological Society
Page Last Updated
Sun, Jan 25, 2009

Contact Webmaster:
Robert.Curry @

© 1997-2009, The Ornithological Council, All Rights Reserved

DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript

State permit policies & procedures

Back to US State index




Mark Van Scoyoc
Stream Survey Coordinator
Scientific Collection permits
KDWP Operations Office, Pratt, KS
(620) 672-5911

Is a permit required for banding?

Yes. (pers.comm. 29 June 2009, M. Van Skoyoc, Kansas Wildlife and Parks, to E. Paul: "Capture and marking would require a state permit.  Even though there would be no retention of collected specimens, having them in hand and for scientific purposes implies possession."

Permit application form

  • Application Form
    Obtain online here:,-Exhibition,-Collecting,-and-Salvage-Permits/Collecting-Permit-Application
    Or download here

    Applications are to be submitted electronically. If you prefer to provide payment information via phone, please call 620-672-5911, Ext 120 or 110.

  • Renewal: same form
  • Threatened and Endangered: same form; work with threatened or endangered species requires approval by the appropriate bureau and the authorization of the Director of the Department of Natural Resources or the Director’s designee.
  • Salvage: same form. Specify in your project description that you also plan to salvage dead birds.

State lands

"Permission to enter any lands, either public or private, to conduct permitted activity must be obtained from the owner or manager before entry"
  Permittees are required to get permission from state (or federal) land managers as well as private land owners.  You may get a permit without this permission, but the permit does not guarantee you'll get permission to collect on state lands (or federal/private).

Prior notice

Not expressly required, but ornithologists should always notify the land manger or landowner of the dates, times, and places where activities will take place to assure the safety of the researcher and to avoid conflict with activities scheduled for other researchers or the general public.


Information here:

115-18-3. Scientific, educational, or exhibition permit; application, reporting and general provisions.
(a) Applications for scientific, educational, or exhibition permits shall be on forms provided by the department. Each applicant shall provide the following information:
   (1) name of applicant;
   (2) address;
   (3) number and common name of each species proposed for collecting;
   (4) counties of the state where collecting would occur;
   (5) methods of collecting;
   (6) time period for collecting;
   (7) purposes for collecting;
   (8) disposition of collected species; and
   (9) other information as required by the secretary.

(b) Each permit shall be valid during the time period as specified on the permit.
(c) Each permittee shall maintain a record of permit activity, and shall submit a report to the department on permit activity as required by provisions of the permit.
(d) Each person engaged in any activity covered by the permit shall have a copy of the permit in possession, and shall produce proof of authority to conduct permit activity if so requested by a department official.
(e) Each permittee shall conduct permitted activities only as authorized by law, rules and regulations or as authorized under provisions of the permit.
(f) Each permittee shall submit a copy of any required federal permit to the department when federally protected species are involved in scientific, educational or exhibition permit activity.
(g) Each permittee shall submit a copy of any technical reports, publications, techniques, or other product resulting from the use of a scientific, educational, or exhibition permit.
(h) In addition to other penalties prescribed by law, the secretary may refuse to issue or may revoke a scientific, educational, or exhibition permit if:
   (1) the application is incomplete or contains false information;
   (2) issuance of a permit would not be in the best interest of the public; or
   (3) the permittee fails to meet permit requirements or violates permit conditions.

(Authorized by 1989 HB 2005, sections 9 and 83; implementing 1989 HB 2005, section 83; effective Oct. 30,1989.)