Presented by the
Ornithological Council

Member organizations of the Ornithological Council

American Ornithologists' Union

Association of Field Ornithologists


Cooper Ornithological Society

Neotropical Ornithological Society

Pacific Seabird Group

Raptor Research Foundation

Society of Canadian Ornithologists ~ Société des Ornithologistes du Canada

Society for the Conservation and Study of Caribbean Birds

The Waterbird Society

Wilson Ornithological Society
Page Last Updated
Sun, Jan 25, 2009

Contact Webmaster:
Robert.Curry @

© 1997-2009, The Ornithological Council, All Rights Reserved

DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript

State permit policies & procedures

Back to US State index



Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, Wildlife Information:|>

Scientific collecting:


Laurie Fortin
Wildlife Technician
DEP, Wildlife Division
79 Elm St.
Hartford, CT 06106
Phone: (860) 424-3963

Is a permit required for banding?


The permit application specifically includes handling and marking.

Permit application forms

  • Application Form - download here
  • Renewal – use same form
  • Threatened and Endangered – use same form
  • Salvage – use same form

State lands

Additional permits are needed to conduct research on state owned lands (ex Park lands). The Department of Environmental Protection can generally circulate the request and issue one joint permit to cover all aspects of the request at once.

Prior notice

The Department of Environmental Protection asks that the researcher contact the unit manager to alert them of their potential schedule to avoid conflicts.


Note: the application form requires that the applicant provide a copy of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee protocol approval. The Ornithological Council has communicated with the Connecticut DEP, Wildlife Division to explain that most IACUCs will not issue final approval until all permits are obtained. In response, the Connecticut DEP, Wildlife Division states that the applicant can submit a copy of the protocol submitted to the IACUC and is willing to issue the permit if the protocol review is pending.

The Connecticut Administrative Code is not available on the internet. The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection has posted some of the regulations pertaining to wildlife, but none pertaining to scientific research permits. The Ornithological Council was informed that there are no regulations implementing the Connecticut statute, which provides that:

(Title 26, Section 60). Permits to collect certain wildlife for scientific and educational purposes. Fee. The commissioner may grant to any properly accredited person not less than eighteen years of age, upon written application, a permit to collect fish, crustaceans and wildlife and their nests and eggs, for scientific and educational purposes only, and not for sale or exchange or shipment from or removal from the state without the consent of the commissioner. The commissioner may determine the number and species of such fish, crustaceans and wildlife and their nests and eggs which may be taken and the area and method of collection of such fish, crustaceans and wildlife under any permit in any year. The permit shall be issued for a term established by the commissioner in accordance with federal regulations and shall not be transferable. The commissioner shall charge an annual fee of twenty dollars for such permit. Each person receiving a permit under the provisions of this section shall report to the commissioner on blanks furnished by the commissioner, at or before the expiration of such permit, the detailed results of the collections made thereunder. Any person violating the provisions of this chapter or of the permit held by him shall be subject to the penalties provided in section 26-64, and, upon conviction of such violation, the permit so held by him shall become void.