Presented by the
Ornithological Council

Member organizations of the Ornithological Council

American Ornithologists' Union

Association of Field Ornithologists


Cooper Ornithological Society

Neotropical Ornithological Society

Pacific Seabird Group

Raptor Research Foundation

Society of Canadian Ornithologists ~ Société des Ornithologistes du Canada

Society for the Conservation and Study of Caribbean Birds

The Waterbird Society

Wilson Ornithological Society
Page Last Updated
Sun, Jan 25, 2009

Contact Webmaster:
Robert.Curry @

© 1997-2009, The Ornithological Council, All Rights Reserved

DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript

State permit policies & procedures

Back to US State index




Dale Steele
Phone: (916) 928-5849
Fax: (916)


California Department of Fish and Game
1740 N. Market Blvd.,
Sacramento, CA 95834 

Is a permit required for banding?

A permit is required to take, collect, capture, mark, or salvage, for scientific, educational, and non-commercial propagation purposes, mammals, birds and their nests and eggs, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, and invertebrates (Fish and Game Code Section 1002 and Title 14 Sections 650 and 670.7). These activities require a Scientific Collecting Permit (SCP).  

Permit application forms

Scientific collecting permit, download here or go to:

Scientific collecting permit, amendments

NOTE: Notice of Intent to collect – you must fax this form in at least 24 hours before actually collecting.

Restricted species

Additional authorization is required for protected species. This authorization is known as a Memorandum of Understanding.


for a list of the species and the process for obtaining a Memorandum of Understanding. Incidental take of threatened, endangered, or candidate species by a project must be handled through the CEQA/CESA permit process as a “2081(b) permit” (Fish and Game Code 2081(b); also see section 1190). Monitoring of CEQA required mitigation, however, does require a SCP if handling of animals is involved.

For rare, threatened, endangered, or candidate species, the Memorandum of Understanding that must be issued for take also serves as a “2081(a) permit” under CESA (Fish and Game Code 2081(a)).

Note that it will take a minimum of six weeks to obtain a Memorandum of Understanding.

Take of species covered in a Natural Community Conservation Plan (NCCP) is authorized in the NCCP permit for activities identified in the Plan (Fish and Game Code Section 2835). NCCP take authorization is granted to local governments who may grant take authority to third parties through the local land use planning process.

Note: collecting permits do NOT confer right to salvage. If you want to salvage, be sure to seek authority to salvage.